This recipe is so easy and yet the results reflect more effort… Never a bad thing! The sauce is absolutely delicious. I served this most recently over Basmati rice to which I “yellowed” with a bit of turmeric. Just before serving, sweet peas were folded in for a brightness in color.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken legs (2 1/2 pounds total), drumsticks and thighs separated
- 4 garlic cloves, pasted using a press or very finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Depending upon the size of your pan this may need to be done in batches. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, red-pepper flakes, and sugar. Return chicken to pan along with any accumulated juices on the plate, skin side up. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low; cook 15 minutes (liquid should be gently simmering; adjust heat if necessary). Uncover, raise heat to medium, and cook until sauce is reduced by half, 10 minutes.
- Optional serving suggestion is to accompany place chicken over rice then drizzle sauce; or serve with a side of sautéed greens, such as spinach, in garlic and oil.