The final dish
- 1 bag (1 pound) frozen peaches, unthawed
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (peel skin easily with the back of a spoon)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as corn, or grape seed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, to taste
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken pieces, such as thighs and drumsticks
- Rice cooked for serving (hint: put a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric into the cooking liquid for a complementary color)
Set your oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Into a large bowl, place peaches and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add ginger, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, sesame oil, and red-pepper flakes; toss to coat. Turn this mixture out onto a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Rub chicken with remaining teaspoon vegetable oil; season all sides with salt and pepper. Arrange chicken skin side up among peaches and onions.
Roast until chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of the meat (avoiding bone), 30 – 40 minutes. Serve chicken with rice, peaches/onion mixture.
Onions, peaches and other flavor elements to roast with the chickenAdapted from an Everyday Food recipe