Buying locally produced food directly from farmers and bakers is about to become a year ’round affair for Mamaroneck residents. On Tuesday, July 20th an array of local growers and food producers will set up their tents off Route 1 in Harbor Island Park for the opening day of the weekly outdoor Mamaroneck Farmers Market. The market, which is sponsored by the Village of Mamaroneck, will run from 1:30pm to 6:30pm every Tuesday thereafter, rain or shine, until November 23rd. Later in the winter the Mamaroneck Farmers Market will re-open on Saturdays indoors at St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church on Boston Post Road.
“We want to encourage people to shop more often at farmers markets,” says Miriam Haas, Director of Community Markets. “Having the outdoor market on a weekday with evening hours will make it more accessible for those who can’t get to the weekend farmers markets.” Parking should not be an issue, thanks to the Village of Mamaroneck, farmers market shoppers will have free parking for up to an hour. Shopper parking is available in Harbor Island behind the treatment plant and in the parking lot by the playground.
The market will feature:
- Organic breads and pastries from Bread Alone of Boiceville, NY
- European-style tarts from Dutch Desserts of Kinderhook, NY
- Old-fashioned barrel pickles from Doctor Pickle of Wayne, NJ
- Cedar Hill Farm of Amenia, NY will be selling beef and pork
- Meredith’s Bread of Kingston, NY will be offering hand-made quiche, jams, pies, cookies and breads
- Migliorelli Farm of Tivoli, NY will offer there will be fresh fruit, berries and vegetables and cider
- Newgate Farms of East Granby, CT will offer baked goods, fruit, plants and vegetables